About the Development Services Department- Building Division
The Building Division is responsible for plan checks, building permits and inspections.
Site Plan Review
No building permit for a new industrial, commercial or multifamily structure shall be issued before a site plan, has been reviewed and approved by the site plan committee (also known as Plat and Plan Review). The review committee normally meets every Tuesday and includes City representatives of the following:
(1) Public Works Department (Engineering, Solid Waste & Water/Wastewater).
(2) Development Services Department (Building, GIS & Planning).
(3) Fire Department.
(4) Police Department (Code Compliance).
The City requires a scaled site plan indicating proposed and existing developments to be submitted. Check site plan review on the Development Application here. Submit for review at the Development Services Department located at City Hall, 914 S. Main Street, Suite G.
The City requires all building plans to be reviewed for compliance. Two sets or plans and one PDF copy to be submitted. Additional information may be required. Also, The Fire Department requires shop drawings for fire sprinklers, fire alarm systems, etc.
Certificate of Occupancies
The City requires that all new uses and changes of uses for public occupancy to have a valid CO prior to opening.
The City of Copperas Cove has adopted the International Building Code (IBC)—2015 Edition and the National Electrical Code (NEC)—2014 Edition.
Additionally, due to changes in Texas State Law, any permit application for remodel or demolition on non-residential property must have an asbestos abatement certification or survey attached. Any permit application for any non-residential project over $50,000.00 must have attached a verification of submittal to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Texas Accessibility Division for compliance with accessibility standards.
The City requires permits for the following types of construction but are not limited to:
• New Construction
• Garage Conversions
• Accessory Structures (garages, sheds, decks, fences, etc.)
• Swimming pools
• Water heaters, water softeners
• Re-roofs and siding installations
• Change of Occupancies (non-residential)
• Inspections are basically required before any work is concealed, covered or buried.
• Concrete placement or slabs, driveways, sidewalks, etc.
• Plumbing: water lines, sewer lines, rough-ins, stack-outs, gas lines, water heaters, lawn sprinklers, whole house water softeners, etc.
• Electrical: new installations, service upgrades, etc.
• Mechanical: new installations, unit change outs, etc.
• Building, framing, etc.
• Final completions
Swimming Pool Requirements
For commercial and Residential swimming pool requirements, click here.