About Building Development
The Building and Development Department is responsible for plan checks, building permits and inspections.
The City requires a scaled site plan indicating proposed and existing developments to be submitted. Six copies are required.
The City requires all building plans to be reviewed for compliance. Two sets or plans and one PDF copy to be submitted. Additional information may be required. Also, The Fire Department requires shop drawings for fire sprinklers, fire alarm systems, etc.
Certificate of Occupancies
The City requires that all new uses and changes of uses to have a valid CO prior to opening.
The City of Copperas Cove has adopted the 2015 edition of the International Codes and the 2014 National Electrical Code.
Additionally, due to changes in Texas State Law, any permit application for remodel or demolition on non-residential property must have an asbestos abatement certification or survey attached. Any permit application for any non-residential project over $50,000.00 must have attached a verification of submittal to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Texas Accessibility Division for compliance with accessibility standards.
The City requires permits for the following types of construction but are not limited to:
• New Construction
• Garage Conversions
• Accessory Structures (garages, sheds, decks, fences, etc.)
• Swimming pools
• Water heaters, water softeners
• Re-roofs and siding installations
• Change of Occupancies (non-residential)
• Inspections are basically required before any work is concealed, covered or buried.
• Concrete placement or slabs, driveways, sidewalks, etc.
• Plumbing: water lines, sewer lines, rough-ins, stack-outs, gas lines, water heaters, lawn sprinklers, whole house water softeners, etc.
• Electrical: new installations, service upgrades, etc
• Mechanical: new installations, unit change outs, etc.
• Building, framing, etc.
• Final completions
Swimming Pool Requirements
For commercial and Residential swimming pool requirements, click here.