Firefighter I Recruitment
All interpretations regarding these rules will be made by the Fire Chief or his designate.
Firefighter I Requirements
PARAMEDIC PREFERENCE AND PARAMEDIC HIRING INCENTIVE
PRIOR MILITARY PREFERENCE
SALARY AND INCENTIVES
FIRE DEPARTMENT PHYSICAL ABILITY COURSE
FIREFIGHTER I REQUIREMENTS:
• U.S. Citizenship
• By the date of application as a Copperas Cove Fire Department employee the applicant must be at least 18 years of age Must have a high-school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate
• Must have a valid and current Texas driver’s license
• Visual acuity that when corrected will allow the applicant to wear a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) face piece and vision capability that allows the applicant to work, drive and operate an emergency vehicle in day or night time conditions
Back to Top
• Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) Structural Firefighter Basic or Higher
• National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) or Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) – EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, EMT-Advanced, EMT-Paramedic or Licensed Paramedic Certification
All new employees who do not currently hold a TDSHS EMT-Paramedic/Licensed Paramedic certification will be required to obtain this certification in accordance with Copperas Cove Fire Department Policy.
• Applicants who currently hold one of the above certifications and are enrolled in a course to obtain the other certification will be allowed to participate in the hiring process and be placed on the eligibility list but will NOT be offered employment until BOTH of the above certifications are obtained. Proof of enrollment in a certification course must be provided before admission to the Written Exam.
Back to Top
PARAMEDIC PREFERENCE AND HIRING INCENTIVE
Preference may be awarded to Paramedics and applicants enrolled in a Paramedic School
Paramedic Hiring Incentive: $1000.00 (Awarded upon successful completion of the NEOP/FT Program)
Back to Top
PRIOR MILITARY PREFERENCE:
Military credit of five (5) points will be added to the overall hiring process score to those applicants who provide a DD-214 (Member 4 Copy) showing a minimum
of 180 total days of active military service at the time of application and by the specified application deadline and must be turned in prior to being seated for the Written Exam.
Any discharge other than honorable discharge is not creditable. Military credit points will only be awarded to applicants after they have passed the Written Exam and Physical Ability Course.
Back to Top
All applicants who receive a Formal Offer of employment with the Copperas Cove Fire Department shall meet the
residency requirements per Personnel Policy No. 140, On-Call, Call Back and Response Times.
View Personnel Policy No. 140
Back to Top
• Any of the following will disqualify an applicant from further consideration at any stage of the process:
• The Fire Chief has the authority to grant a waiver to any of the following based on the time the event occurred and/or the circumstances surrounding the event.
• Waivers must be applied for by the applicant to Captain Howard.
1. Having a conviction for, being under indictment for, or currently charged with any felony offense.
2. Having a conviction for or currently charged with any offense involving family violence.
3. Having a conviction for a Class A misdemeanor or on court-ordered community supervision or probation for a Class A misdemeanor within the last five (5) years from the date of application.
4. Having a conviction for a Class B misdemeanor or on court-ordered community supervision or probation for a Class B misdemeanor within the last two (2) years from the date of application.
5. Prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle.
6. Prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
7. Currently being on probation or any court-ordered community supervision for any criminal offense.
8. Within two (2) years preceding date of application, have illegally used marijuana.
9. Within five (5) years preceding the date of application, having illegally used any controlled substance or dangerous drug other than marijuana.
10. Having illegally furnished any controlled substance or dangerous drug, including prescription medications to another or family member.
11. Having an excessive record of traffic convictions or negligent traffic collisions. This is defined as: During a five (5) year period preceding date of application, convictions for four or more moving violations in a twelve month period.
12. During the five (5) year period preceding the date of application, a driver’s license suspension for: driving while intoxicated, fail to maintain financial responsibility, or for any reason that would indicate poor driving behavior or habits.
13. A series of negligent collisions during the five (5) year period preceding date of application that would indicate poor driving behavior or habits, whether or not citations were issued.
14. Ability to meet all legal requirements of the Texas Commission on Fire Protection and the Texas Department of State Health Services Personnel Standards and Education.
15. Not being of good moral character: or being known to habitually associate with those of questionable moral character.
16. Having a history of delinquent payments or not meeting financial obligations or repeated occurrences of issuing checks without sufficient funds, without extenuating circumstances.
17. Having been discharged from military service with a dishonorable discharge; or a general discharge indicating: (A) bad conduct; or (B) any other characterization indicating bad character.
18. Being a member of any organization which advocates the overthrow of the government by force or violence.
19. Having been discharged from any certified/licensed Fire and/or EMS position within a Fire and/or EMS agency for disciplinary reasons, resigning to avoid suspension or discharge or having resigned during a disciplinary investigation without a final judgment being rendered.
20. Having resigned or been terminated from a Fire and/or EMS Academy or Field Training Program due to lack of proficiency in an academic or skill area will disqualify the applicant for a period of 24 months from the date of resignation or termination.
21. Failing to cooperate fully with and keep all scheduled appointments with staff personnel involved in the selection process, failing to provide added personal information as needed, or failing to submit information update/change within ten (10) days of the change.
22. Refusal to submit to a polygraph exam during the background investigation.
23. Having been removed from a Copperas Cove Fire Department hiring process in the Polygraph Phase or the Fire Chief Interview within six (6) months from the most recent date of application.
24. Making any false statement of fact, being deceptive by statement or omission in the applicant screening checklist and/or the written application or by any means in any part of the selection process. Disqualification is for a minimum of one year from the date of application.
25. Failure to supply the needed documents and/or submit the application within the specified time limits.
26. Making false statements, falsely swearing to statements or in any other manner falsifying testimony in any official matter or in any significant business transaction.
Without being specifically enumerated in the above disqualifiers if circumstances exist which indicate the applicant is clearly unsuited for a career with the Copperas Cove Fire Department, the application will be rejected.
Back to Top
SALARY AND INCENTIVES:
• Firefighter I Starting Salary: $42,950.16/year (Based on a 2904 hour work year)
• Paramedic Monthly Incentive: $6,000.00 Annually
• Paramedic Hiring Incentive: $1000.00 (Awarded upon successful completion of the NEOP/FT Program)
• Paramedic Ambulance Assignment Incentive: $25.00 (In charge for the Entire Shift)
Upon completion of their probationary year and possessing all of the following certifications a Firefighter I may be appointed to the position and pay grade of Firefighter II:
1. TDSHS EMT-Paramedic or Licensed Paramedic
2. TCFP Driver/Operator – Pumper
• Fire and EMS Continuing Education Training
• Other Incentives available
Back to Top