About the Finance Department
The Finance Department is responsible for providing quality financial services to the citizens and customers of the City of Copperas Cove in a professional manner. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, debt and cash management, the review of technical specifications and preparation of documentation required to comply with legal regulations pertaining to the bid process, preparation and maintenance of the annual budget, monthly financials, quarterly investment reporting, grant reporting, and providing bid proposal recommendations to the City Council.In addition, the Finance Department provides general supervision of Municipal Utilities and Solid Waste Department.
An important measure of the City’s financial health is the rating given to the City by bond rating agencies. The analysis determines the City’s credit worthiness for potential investors including the areas of management, environmental, and financial systems and performance. City of Copperas Cove Standard & Poor’s Bond Rating
MAJOR DEPARTMENT/DIVISION GOALS
• Achieve reserve capacities in all funds as established in the City’s Fund Balance Policy.
• Maximize earnings on investment of funds.
• Plan the City’s future financial growth.
• Monitor and protect the City’s assets by maximizing available resources, minimizing cost, and protecting the cash.
• Attract and retain quality employees.
• Continue to obtain Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Award.
• Continue to provide timely financial reports to the City’s Council.
• Continue to review and update the Finance Department’s policies and procedures.