About Development Services
The Planning Department works with citizens and community leaders to build a consensus on how the City should live, work and grow. This is accomplished through the coordination of a variety of land planning functions that range from facilitating a vision for the future of Copperas Cove to reviewing all new development proposals to ensure compatibility to the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
Our mission is to provide solution-oriented customer services to the citizens we serve which will promote the implementation of sustainable plans; will facilitate economic growth; and will enhance our quality of life for the City of Copperas Cove.
Our vision is to be a fully integrated engaged team of professionals guided through the use of technology in creative and collaborative methods that will facilitate land use planning decisions and balance the need for economic growth combined with the stewardship of protecting City’s resources.
Our goal is to process and analyze project applications in a solution oriented “can-do” environment that is fair, efficient, timely, accurate, and provides friendly customer service, to accommodate development within the boundaries of the City’s policies, goals, and objectives.
The Planning Department is responsible for facilitating the implementation of the 2020 Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance and Sign Ordinance to ensure compatible land uses, transportation network, residential, commercial, industrial and government buildings and associated signage. The department provides support to citizens, business and development communities, local stakeholders, as well as, the general public through effective administration of the city’s code of ordinances. The department serves as the recording secretary for both the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Adjustment. The department assists with the facilitation and coordination of development review applications, as well as, meetings between applicants and other city departments and government agencies.
- Promote and implement the 2020 Comprehensive Plan, including amendments to the Future Land Use Plan (FLUP) maps.
- Improve the quality of life and safety of the community through implementation of ordinances, resolutions and policies for sustainable and compatible land uses and zoning.
- Provide efficient and accurate services to citizens, community leaders, business owners, developers and stakeholders.
- Support the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Adjustment in conformance with the City’s Code of Ordinances and State Local Government Code.
- Striving for excellence in daily performance of meeting expectations and customer service needs.
ACHIEVEMENTS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2020
- Adoption of the 2020 Comprehensive Plan Update on March 17, 2020 by City Council.
- Adoption of the Amendment Chapter 17.5 – Subdivision Ordinance.
- Completion of the MyGov Online Permitting System for Building, Planning and Code Compliance.
- Completion of user-friendly GIS interactive application layers for public consumption showing future developments within the City limits and ETJ on the City’s homepage.
- Continuous updating of the City’s GIS online maps related to Planning and Zoning, Public Utility, City limits and ETJ boundaries, Solid Waste Collection and New Residential Development.
- Continuous improvement of the MyGov Online application processes, permit reviews, customer payments and inspection services.
- Improved customer service by aligning community needs and expectations to where satisfaction is experienced and achieved though effective communication.
- Continue to maintain the City’s address maps, plat database, address database, and digital infrastructure library.
- Developed new GIS mapping layers to promote economic development.
GOALS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2021
- Complete the adoption of the new Sign Ordinance.
- Continue refining and implementing the MyGov online application and permitting processes found at https://www.mygovernmentonline.org/.
- Develop RFQ and select a consultant to amend the City’s Chapter 20 – Zoning Ordinance.
- Develop priority list of new roadway improvement projects and bring to the Technical Advisory Committee at the Killeen Temple Metropolitan Planning Organization (KTMPO) for recommended funding.